Monday, December 1, 2008

Initial Reactions and Insights of SH-V

My initial reactions on this story are that the old man is crazy and weird. All he did was sit around and get drunk. He never was with his wife. He kept talking about how he could never remember any war stories and when he was drunk he would call up old army friends and they never remember any good stories too. If I were those scouts, I would have left Billy and Weary a long time ago because they were always behind.
I found that there was a lot of repetition in this story. I think he repeats himself a lot because he is old and can't remember if he said something before. Some examples are after a death occurs he says, "so it goes." Another example is when Billy was with his war friends he always said, "You guys go on without me." I think he was saying that because he was always thinking of good times in his life and he didn't want to leave them. I also found humor in the first two chapters. An example is "The gun made a ripping sound like the opening of the zipper on the fly of God Almighty." It is funny because nobody else would compare something like that to God.

4 comments:

Kels said...

I agree that this man is a little loopy but I think he has some logic left in him. I do have to admit that this whole getting abducted by aliens is odd but I also think that this is just an old man trying to write a book about a tragic experience. He gets so wrapped up in the book that that is the only thing he thinks about. It consumes his life. Just a thought but great blog :)

Peter G. said...

The old man is Vonegut and I think he repeats himself because that's his writing style. He says "so it goes" after every time there is a tragedy or someone dies. I think he says this to make the point about time that he expresses in this book and about how stuff like that happens and we can't do anything about it.

Sami said...

Hey Anna!
I agree with your reaction to the beginning. I thought there was a lot of rambling on when he basicly only had to say that he was writting an anti war book and that he got together with a friend to reminice but neither of them could remember anything significant. I also agree that he repeats himself a lot I figured it was for the same reason. I also think that he might be trying to put some humor and absurd things into the book, like the alien abduction I thought was strange and out of place. But it's alright so far. Bye Anna!

Morgan said...

ANNA!
I agree with your first reaction on the story because I was thinking the same thing. I also liked how you put a joke in their from the book and that was a really weird, but funny joke he made. Also the old man is pretty crazy.